Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 pm

 "Ware!  He has warned his allies!"

OOC: Ditto to what Jeremiah is doing (ready acid dart).


GM Edit: Attack Roll = 12 (8 on the die)
Damage = 7
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:06 pm

"Gumphrey, quiet!" Elodie huffs, trying to maintain concentration on the auras on the floor in front of the statue. "I'll tend to your wounds in a minute, just keep still!"

Continue concentrating on Detect Magic.
Knowledge (arcana) to determine school of magic: 20, 7 (OOC: wasn't sure if just one roll was necessary--so I made two, hopefully you'll just need the first one Smile)

Elodie will pull out her wand after she has determined that she has learned all that she can about the auras in the room, and will move to heal Gumphrey if she feels that she won't be harmed by the same green energy that singed Gumphrey.

Use Wand of Cure Light Wounds, cures 1 + 3 = 4 HP.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Elodie scrutinizes the magical auras and determines those on the floor to be a sort of "abjuration" magic and the stone mace is some sort of "conjuration." Meanwhile, Talmut and Jeremiah prepare for another wave of adversaries. Gumphrey cries out "But it still hurts! It really hurts!" before dropping to supine position and allowing the murky water to wash over him.

Gumphrey suffers another 7 Damage

At this point, Elodie turns her wand on Gumphrey and heals him the best she can. Gumphrey mutters "I don't ... feel ... so goo ...!" and passes out.

After being healed 4, Gumphrey suffers another 7 Damage. He is now unconscious.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Elodie grabs Gumphrey's collar and yanks him into an upright position, propping him against the nearest wall. She then prods him with the wand again, because it definitely didn't work last time.

Use Wand of Cure Light Wounds, cures 6 + 3 = 9 HP.

She leaves Gumphrey propped up against the wall and tentatively grasps the mace, hoping to sense more of its power and determine what is ailing Gumphrey.

Spellcraft check on mace: 11 + 6 = 17

She then kneels in the water in front of the statue, feeling along the floor for any objects that might be the source of the auras she detected a minute ago. If she feels anything, she will attempt to pick it up or grasp it so that she can learn more about what's ailing Gumphrey.

Spellcraft check on any objects found on the floor: 1 + 6 = 7


GM Edit: I will resolve all of this, one round at a time.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:27 pm

A moment passes as Elodie drags Gumphrey from the water, propping him against the wall and tapping him with the wand one more time. His eyes open and blink rapidly, as he tries to make sense of his surroundings. Just then, another fungus covered being comes around the corner ... this one appears much more skeletal and decayed. Jeremiah and Talmut unleash their fury, destroying the foul creature immediately. It topples onto the first one, driving it under the water.

Gumphrey was healed 9, but suffered another 4. His Hit Points are now above 0.

At this point, it is apparent that even more splashing has followed these two creatures ... who knows how many more will follow?
Talmut and Jeremiah ready themselves, again. Maius continues to instruct and narrate.

Having saved Gumphrey's life, Elodie returns to the statue . Grasping the stone mace in hand, she focuses her attention on the auras she witnessed and contemplates the effects that she saw. It's fairly obvious that the mace shoots bolts of acid whatever fiddles with the secret door ... but she senses that the other two auras are somehow linked. Perhaps they function as sensors of some sort, deciding who can or cannot pass?

Before she can examine the other two auras, however, more of the mossy creatures walk into the room. With Miaus's guidance, Jeremiah and Talmut quickly dispatch another one ... but they're still coming.

Please post actions for the next round.
Initiative Rolls ...
- Talmut = 16 (due to Readied Action)
- Jeremiah = 16 (due to Readied Action)

- Monsters = 15 (16 on the die)
- Gumphrey = 13 (10 on the die)

- Elodie = 8 (7 on the die)
- Maius = 6 (4 on the die)

Statues Round 4 photo ArxStatuesRound4_zps713f5f0a.png
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Standard:
L. Bow: 12 + 7 = 19
Damage: 5


Free: Swap to axes

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Once again submerging a lighted candle into the sickly water, Talmut call upon the aid of the water lord, Ahu.

Full round action: Cast Summon Monster 1; Summon Celestial Dolphin in N25, order him to attack the muck monsters.
 

HP:19/19 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +2, Ref: +3, Wil: +3 Init: +2
M.W. Quarterstaff: +0Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 1
Mov: 6
CMB: -1 | CMD: 11
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 17 Conj.
Spells Learned - 0: Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic; 1st: Grease, Obscuring Mist, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1; 2nd: Summon Monster 2, Summon Monster 2, Web
Bonded Object - The Staff of Nu'll
Magic Items - Pearl of Jacobany, Pearl of Jacobany
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Confident that Jeremiah, Talmut, and whatever fierce beast Talmut summons will be able to provide cover in the narrow hallway, Elodie continues to study the objects on the floor, hoping to figure out how to gain safe passage through the hidden door.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:57 pm

R & R - ROUND 4

Init 16
Jeremiah sinks another arrow into to the moss-covered shambler as Talmut conjures an angelic Dolphin in the "middle" of the approaching horde. Unused to shallow water, the dolphin thrashes around, until it is able to slam its powerful head into one of its foes.

- Attack Roll = 14 (8 on the die); damage = 7

Init 15
The creatures press forward, rushing at Jeremiah and the dolphin ... but in this case, your side manages to hold off their attacks.

Attack Roll = 11 (7 on the die) Miss
Attack Roll = Natural 1; Miss

Init 13
Gumphrey gets back to his feet and fires an arrow at Jeremiah's assailant. 

Attack Roll = 14 (7 on the die); Miss (Due to Soft Cover)

Init 8
Feeling around on the floor, Elodie finds two large faceted tiger-eye gemstones; the source of the abjuration aura. She immediately realizes that they are magically linked to the stone mace, serving as some sort "sensors" ... either as a trigger for the trap, or some sort of bypass (similar to the workings of an alarm spell). But why would they be lying on the ground underwater?

Init 6
Maius continues his voice-over, providing the party with much needed moral support.

Arx Statues Round 5 photo ArxStatuesRound5_zps16f66c18.png

OOC: Next Round?
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Remembering Jeremiah carefully examining the eye sockets of the statues, Elodie grabs the gems from the floor and attempts to place them in the eye sockets of the statue with the mace.

Once they are in place, she will move past Gumphrey and attempt to open the door again (ready to grab her wand if she triggers the mace).
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Full Round Action:

M.H. Axe: 2 + 5 = 7
DMG: Miss

H. Axe: 4 + 3 = 7
DMG: Miss

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  macksgarageusa on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 am

The sight of the additional enemies appearing more quickly than they can be counted unnerves the young bard. He continues pointing out their positions, somewhat more frantically.
He steadies himself and pulls a candle from his pack, copying a move he has seen Talmut perform several times. He summons a creature befitting this dank environment.

Free: Continue Bardic Performance- Inspire Courage +1
Free: Pull spell components from pack
Full Round: Cast Summon Monster I: Summon Dire Rat to O25 to attack monsters.

O.o.C.: All allies are still +1 to Attack and Damage rolls, also +1 to saving throws vs. Charm and Fear.
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:39 pm

R & R - ROUND 5

Init 16
Jeremiah swings both of his axes with wild abandon, but his efforts are overzealous, causing him to miss. At the same time, Talmut fires again at the closest monstrosity, which is already sporting one of Jeremiah's arrows, and is dropped by the burning acid. Meanwhile, down the hall, the Agent of Ahu continues to hold the line.

- Talmut's Attack Roll = 18 (14 on the die) dealing 7 damage
- Dolphin's Attack Roll = Natural 1 (Miss).


Init 15
Covered in lichen and mosses, the strange creatures press forward, continuing their ineffective assault.

- Attack vs. Jeremiah = 12 (8 on the die). Miss
- Attack vs. Dolphin = Natural 1 (Miss).

Init 13
Gumphrey fires again, sending an arrow directly into the stone wall.

- Gumphrey's Attack Roll = Natural 1 (Miss).
- OOC: Why am I rolling so many 1's?!

Init 8
Elodie jams the two gemstones into the statue's face and then moves to open the secret door that Gumphrey already unlocked. She easily finds the latch and pulls on it, causing that section of wall to jolt away from her as the weight of the water in this room forces its way into the next. The secret doors slams into the wall, revealing a tiny chamber, which (until now) had remained relatively dry. Moving into the space, Elodie finds a stone sarcophagus surrounded by more statues, a couple of chests, and several colorful old vases. As the nasty water rushes in, the smallest vases become submerged.

Init 6
Maius performs his own version of a summoning spell, aping Talmut's movements and bringing a rather large rat into the fray. The dire rat lunges forward, sinking its nasty teeth into the hamstrings of the fungal walker.

- D. Rat's Attack Roll = 18 (16 on the die). Damage = 2 Damage plus disease.

Arx Statues Round 6 photo ArxStatuesRound6_zps883b34c3.png


OOC: Actions for next round?
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Free: "You won't be so lucky this time..."

Full Round Action:

M.H. Axe: 16 + 5 = 21
DMG: 10

H. Axe: 12 + 3 = 15 (not sure if 15 hits, but I rolled damage anyway)

DMG: 4

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 pm

A bit disappointed by the small size of the room, Elodie sloshes forward and tries to open the sarcophagus.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  macksgarageusa on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:15 am

Maius continues to aid his friends, hoping his words add to their skill.
As the dire rat presses forward with his attacks, Maius begins to mutter a rhyme in hoping to catch the attention of the monsters and convince them to leave the group alone.
”Creatures of the muck
We’re not here to buck.
Creatures from the slime
We’re not worth your time.
Let us travel on
We are not carrion.”


Free: Continue Bardic Performance- Inspire Courage +1
Free: Direct Dire Rat to continue attacking(?)
Full round Action: Cast Hypnotism

Total # creatures affected: 2d4= 8

All allies still gain +1 bonus to Attack and Damage, also +1 to saves vs. Charm and Fear.
Not really sure how that Hypnotism spell works, or if necessary to continue with direction for summoned monster, please amend if necessary. Thx
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Talmut will continue leveling acid darts at the foes.

 18+4=21 to hit, 4+2=6 damage
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 pm

R & R - ROUND 6

Init 16
Jeremiah buries both of his axes into the thing in front of him, just as Talmut fires another bolt of acid over his shoulder to strike another. The lead monster topples over, onto his brethren, who are now piled high enough to jut out of the water. The woody flesh of the other burns with the acid, but the creature continues its advance. Down the hall, the mereswine continues to butt heads with the advancing horde for just a moment, before turning around the back-up the dire rat.

- Dolphin's smite attack roll = 14 (8 on the die); 9 damage.

Init 15
The remaining creatures continue to attack; one rushing at Jeremiah, and the other turning to face the rat. The former sinks its yellow teeth into Jeremiah's wrist, drawing blood and causing intense pain. The latter stomps the rat to death.

- Monster's attack roll vs. Jeremiah = 18 (14 on the die); 5 Damage
- Monster's attack roll vs. the Rat = Natural 20 (19+4 to Verify). 20 Damage

Init 13
Gumphrey fires again ... this time hitting the same foe that Talmut did.

- Gumphrey's attack roll = 15 (8 on the die); 4 damage.

Init 8
Elodie struggles to throw the sarcophagus lid, but eventually manages to do so. Inside, she finds a decrepit old skeleton, bereft of funeral garb. The only other things in the stone casket are the crown and ring worn by the corpse and the scepter in its hand. All three are remarkably ornate and covered in mystic runes. 

Init 6
Maius attempts to hypnotize your foes ... whether it worked or not, the cacophony of splashing you heard dies suddenly. The never ending wave of assailants doesn't seem so never-ending now.

Arx Statues Round 7 photo ArxStatuesRound7_zpsab0336cd.png


Last edited by Malazek on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Still hearing splashing in the hallway, Elodie moves back into the light and lays a hand on Gumphrey's shoulder, calling forth spirits to aid him as he attacks the next creature in the hallway.

Move: to V24
Standard: cast Guidance on Gumphrey
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Full Round Action:

M.H. Axe: 12 + 5 = 17
DMG: 5


H. Axe: 10 + 3 = 13

DMG: 4

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:07 pm

R & R - ROUND 7

With Maius's help, Jeremiah finishes off another foe, while Talmut and Gumphrey finish off the last. The Dolphin blinks out just as the last enemy falls.

Talmut's Attack Roll = 14 (10 on the die) Damage = 2
Dolphin's Attack Roll = 14 (11 on the die) Damage = 5.
Gumphrey's Attack Roll = 24 (16 on the die) Damage = 9

OOC: End Combat.
_________________
 
Still looking rough for wear, Gumphrey turns and asks "What did we find? Gold? Gems? Better than gold and gems?"


Last edited by Malazek on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Elodie grabs the wand once again and waves it at Gumphrey, halting him in the hallway. "First things first, let's fix you up before we look at what's in the room. Did anyone else get hurt in the fight?"

Use wand on Gumphrey, cure 1 + 3 = 4 HP.
Use wand on Gumphrey, cure 7 + 3 = 10 HP.
(OOC: Assuming that Jeremiah tells Elodie he was injured) Use wand on Jeremiah, cure 1 + 3 = 4 HP

After healing everyone, Elodie will head back to the room and try to locate the now-submerged vases, telling everyone that there are a few chests and possibly some items in the sarcophagus worth checking out, as well.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 pm

As the party inspects the secret chamber, Jeremiah will do a "once over" the slain foes. Searching for any kind of valuables...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Grim faced, Talmut will ready an action to Acid Dart any adversaries that come down the hall.

"I am unharmed. I fear the creatures will beset us again once Maius' spell loses it's potency."
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Jeremiah inspects the fallen foes and finds worn garments under the leaves and vines that hang over their bodies. Some of the cloth has been eaten away by moss and fungus, which has grown into their decayed skins ...  but a few scraps remain, held in place by tiny roots. On a few, he finds enough clothing to locate a pocket or a sheath. The very first one had a silver dagger, as well 32 gold pieces, but the others had a combined total of 17 silver and 52 copper. The rest if the gear is either too rusted or too mildewed to be of any value.

In total, Elodie finds five vases. They are all very old and very ornate, painted with vibrant colors and surprising detail. Inside, she finds a thick mud-like substance, which she soon realizes is wet ash. 

Gumphrey pulls the chests from water and props the on the edge of the sarcophagus, so that each chest straddles on the the corners at the feet of the corpse. "Let me just ... um ... check these for traps."

Meanwhile, Talmut prepares a spell and holds it at the ready, just in case anything else comes to assault the party.

After a moment of searching, the Shadow Man carefully selects a few of his best tools and begins to pick the locks.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum