Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 pm

"If we are to leave the horses here while we go into this place, I should set a few traps. Hopefully it will protect them from those wolves..."

Trap Set (Trapping) 12 + 9 = 21

OOC: I have three traps to set, I will put them in the places I think best. I will use the natural surroundings and debris to try and funnel traffic into the traps...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 pm

 "Gumphrey, are there any traps on these hatches?"

Turning to Elodie and Jeremiah, Talmut muses.  "Our horses will be wolf food if we leave them here tied.  Are wolf pelts valued in this area?"



HP:19/19 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +2, Ref: +3, Wil: +3 Init: +2
M.W. Quarterstaff: +0Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 1
Mov: 6
CMB: -1 | CMD: 11
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 17 Conj.

Spells Learned - 0: Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic; 1st: Grease, Obscuring Mist, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1; 2nd: Summon Monster 2, Summon Monster 2, Web
Bonded Object - The Staff of Nu'll
Magic Items - Pearl of Jacobany, Pearl of Jacobany
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  macksgarageusa on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 am

Maius studies the wolfpack carefully trying to judge their mood. He assists Jeremiah by suggesting locations for the traps based on what he knows of wolves and their pack behavior.

Knowledge(Nature): +9

"I could probably put most of them to sleep, but the effect won't last too long."
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 am

In response to Talmut, "No, but they sure are warm.."

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

"Maybe we don't need to slaughter them..." Elodie twirls the end of her braid, thinking. "Let me go see how friendly these wolves are. It's possible they won't bother our horses."

Elodie moves toward the den, seeking the large wolf that she spotted earlier. Keeping a respectful distance, Elodie makes eye contact and begins speaking gently. Although her fellow party members don't recognize the strange sounds coming out of her mouth, they should be able to recognize her tone as gentle and calming. "Please, friends. We are just exploring; we mean no harm to you and your family. Will you leave our horses in peace while we explore the area?"

Wild Empathy, 19 + 3 (level) + 1 (CHA) = 23
If the big wolf is friendly, Elodie will take 10 on making her request.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:52 pm

SR J-Trap photo StephensRuins-Trapped_zps833c33f7.png

Jeremiah begins to gather fallen branches, sticks, and other debris, with which to "fence in" in strategically placed traps. He considers using some of the heavier rubble, as well, but realizes the extra work probably isn't work the effort. After all, if the wolves really want to get in here, no reasonable amount of debris will stop them. So, he relies on the easier gathered timbers to funnel them toward the traps. Hopefully, if one one them gets caught, that will be enough to deter the others.

Meanwhile, Elodie heads off to befriend the wolves.

As she goes, Gumphrey makes his way to Talmut's side and complies with his request. Wedging one of his "special tools" down alongside the heavy stone slab, he manages to wiggle it into the space beneath. Dragging it along the ledge, he checks the entire perimeter of the square before jerking it free. Then, he puts his ear the the slab and taps it with the handle of that same tool. Satisfied that nothing is connected to the edges and the space beneath is relatively hollow, he states "I don't think it's trapped."

While assisting the trapper, Maius studies the wolves from afar. They seem riled up, but not aggressive. Perhaps they've already eaten, or perhaps the presence of humans outweighs their taste for horse flesh. Either way, they are keeping their distance. As Elodie gets closer, however, he notices the wolves becoming more and more defensive. The largest of them makes his way to the front, bearing his teeth and warning the druid with a deep, rumbling growl.

Undaunted, Elodie continues her approach, "speaking" to the wolf with a series of almost language-like noises. Her pleas do not get ignored. The big wolf relaxes his jowls and stops his growling. He looks curiously at the druid before shaking his head in what seems like a nod. Then, he howls, loudly. (Elodie understands the howls to mean "We would never cross such a skilled speaker of the forest tongue. Your horses are safe here.") The big wolf howls at the others, who quickly fall in line before he leads them back into the den.

Having placed his debris, Jeremiah is now able to set his traps. The largest gaps in the walls are where the traps are set and the smaller gaps have been obstructed by debris. This set up should stop all but the most cunning or stubborn of predators.

Having met with some success, Elodie returns to the party.

Still watching the wolves, Maius can tell that they are no longer uneasy. The smaller wolves are already at play.

Gumphrey says again, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's safe."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:19 pm

"Then let us uncover what lies below.  Help me get this off."

Talmut will to try to move the slab (V?) with some help from the others, and then lights a torch, peering into the darkness underneath.

 

HP:19/19 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +2, Ref: +3, Wil: +3 Init: +2
M.W. Quarterstaff: +0Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 1
Mov: 6
CMB: -1 | CMD: 11
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 17 Conj.
Spells Learned - 0: Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic; 1st: Grease, Obscuring Mist, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1; 2nd: Summon Monster 2, Summon Monster 2, Web
Bonded Object - The Staff of Nu'll
Magic Items - Pearl of Jacobany, Pearl of Jacobany
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:58 am

Together, Talmut and Gumphrey manage to pry the slab up just enough to slide it out of the way. A dark chute lies below. With a torch in hand, Talmut glares at the darkness, trying to glean what's down there. The east wall of the opening descends to a watery-surface, maybe 40 feet below you. It looks to be flooded, but its difficult to say how deep it might be. The other three walls descend only 20 feet, before opening into some kind of chamber. The walls of the chute are tiled, as well, and discolored by mildew and water damage. There does not appear to be any sort of ladder; but if there was one, it would have rotted away long ago.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:26 am

Jeremiah will pull out a rope and look for a place to tie it off...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

"So, down into the deep, dark hole?" Elodie asks, peering over Talmut's shoulder into the darkness. To be better prepared for a climb back out, Elodie swaps her bedroll in her pack for the grappling hook that she has tucked into one of the saddlebags on Egan. She also grabs two tindertwigs and tucks those into her bag.

"After you, Jeremiah..." Elodie grins. "After all, it's your rope."
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  macksgarageusa on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:10 pm

"Hey, why don't we at least throw some of this rubble down there and see if we can tell how deep it is?"
If we proceed Maius will go last insuring the security of the hook and rope for his allies.
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will pull out a rope and look for a place to tie it off...
Jeremiah finds several spots on the ruined walls that are suitable for tying a rope. He decides on one and secures the line with the best knot he knows how to tie.

Maius wrote:"why don't we at least throw some of this rubble down there and see if we can tell how deep it is?"
As Jeremiah is fastening the rope, Gumphrey heeds Maius's advice and tosses some rubble into the hole. Plop, Pl-plop. "Well," he says, "how deep do you supposed that was? A fathom, maybe? I couldn't really tell."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 pm

OOC: Elodie will listen to the splash at the bottom and try to determine how deep the water at the bottom is. Perception, +9.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 pm

After hearing the rubble fall into the brink, Elodie is fairly certain the water is no where near a "fathom" deep ... four or five hands, at the most.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Talmut hands Gumphry the torch and then reaches into his robes.  Crushing something between his finger and thumb, the Conjuror whispers a word - "diparu...", while passing his other hand over the the Staff of Nu'ul, seemingly coaxing it to shine.

Cast Light on Staff of Nu'ull, it'll last 30 min.

Stowing the Quarterstaff behind his backpack, Talmut will descend down the rope.

Will a Take 10 on Climb do it?  I'm -1 due to Str...
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 am

Talmut has no trouble descending the rope. Elodie goes next. Then, Gumphrey. The three of them find themselves in a dark room, with murky water up to their knees. The room appears to be otherwise empty. Mold and mildew have spread all over the bare stone walls, except where actual fungus has taken over. The smell of musty vegetation assaults your nose. The torchlight reveals three open doorways, heading in three different directions. The dark water covers all that you can see. Maius and Jeremiah are still up top, ensuring the rope is secure.

Arx LEG photo ArxRoomTEGLanding_zps94a7592d.png
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Elodie knots her skirt up to her knees so that it isn't dragging in the water, and sloshes toward the center hallway, peering into the darkness. "Talmut, you are a learned man. Historically, are the treasures kept to the left, or the right?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Jeremiah will descend the rope as well. When he gets to the bottom he says, "Shall we go left.."

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:01 pm

With a rarely cracked grin, Talmut nods at Jeremiah, avoiding staring as Elodie hikes up her skirt.  "In my experience, I have found the greatest treasures lie to the left, Miss Elodie."

That said, Talmut will follow in marching order, suggesting Gumphry lead the way, searching for traps, followed by Jeremiah, Elodie, himself, and finally Maius.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 pm

After Jeremiah and Maius reach the bottom of the rope, Gumphrey moves left as directed. Prodding the submerged floor with his foot, he takes the torch and moves toward the open doorway to the south. He lingers at the opening for moment, taking his time and trying to be sure. Then, suddenly, he announces. "There seems to be a trap of some sort, here; a pressure plate, I think. Let me see if I can disarm it."
 
Holding the torch between his teeth, he pulls out his tools and drops to his knees, bringing the water up to his waist. Sunk in to the elbows, his hands go to work under the water's surface.
 
After another minute, he removes the torch from his mouth and says "That should do it."

Rising from the water, he proceeds into the next room with the entire party following behind. Though the going is slow, Gumphrey continues to take his time, prodding the floor with his foot. Around the middle of the room, he turns again. "Left, right? I mean, 'left, correct?'" He turns left.

He continues on to the east side of this new room and checks the doorway again. "There seems to be some kind of stairs, here, going deeper under water."

Looking around, you find this room to be much like the first: musty, mildewed, and completely flooded. Floating in the water is some kind of unidentifiable debris that vaguely resembles chunks of rotten wood ... or something "else," maybe.

Two more openings (to the south and to the west) lead into additional rooms. About six yards down the right corridor, something seems to be growing on the walls; perhaps the roots of some great tree above the surface.

As you ponder the possibility, you hear a distant splash from that same direction.

Arx Room 2 photo ArxRoom2_zps42d4526d.png
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Glitz on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

"Treasure to the left, monsters to the right?" Elodie whispers, jumping a little when she hears the splash. "Let's find out what made that noise..." Elodie will move towards the sound of the splash if no one stops her.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Jeremiah will put out his bow and hang back.

OOC: I ready an action to fire on the first thing that jumps out at Elodie..
OOC2: ♪♪♫ Monsters to the right of me, treasure to the left and hear I am, stuck in the middle with you.. ♫♪

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Malazek on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Moving closer to the sound, Elodie spots something moving in the water, just before she reaches the open doorway to the west. Whatever it is, its moving fast. Meanwhile, Jeremiah knocks an arrow and prepares to fire. Almost as soon as his string is drawn, the creature snaps at Elodie, prompting Jeremiah to fire. The arrow sinks into the scaly hide of the underwater beats, just as it sinks its teeth into Elodie's thigh. Blood gushes from he leg, running down into the creature's mouth and the water around her ... but the monster isn't done. It starts spinning and twisting under the water, even while maintaining it's grip, wrenching Elodie's leg, and dragging her under the water. The party watches as Blood and Bubbles rise up to the surface, right where Elodie was standing.

- Jeremiah's Attack Roll = 18 (11 on the die). Hit.
- Miss Chance = 30 (vs. 20%). Still hits.
- Damage = 6 Damage.

- Creature's Attack Roll = 15 (8 on the die). Hit.
- Elodie suffers 6 Damage. Plus Grab.
- Creature's CMB = 18 (14 on the die) vs. Elodie's CMD of 13. Grapple Hits.
- Begin Death Roll. Elodie suffers another 9 Damage.

OOC: That was the surprise Round. Please post actions for Round 1.
INITIATIVE ROLLS FOR ROUND 1
- Jeremiah = 22
- Talmut = 21
- Maius = 21
- Elodie = 10
- Gumphrey = 7
- Creature = 6

Arx Room 2 Surp photo ArxRoom2Surprise_zps2c42eb9e.png


Last edited by Malazek on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Jeremiah quick draws both of his axes, moves forward and readies himself to attack the beast as soon as he see's it.

R. Hand:14 +7 -2 = 19   (8dmg)
L. Hand: 10 +5 -2 = 13 (4dmg)

GM Edit ...
Move: to R20?
Standard: Ready an Action.
OOC: Edited


GM Edit: OOC: You can only ready a standard action, not a full round action. So, I'll resolve the attack as a single attack, but I can still describe it as hitting with both weapons. You will inflict 8 damage, though, not 12.

 

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Talmut reacts quickly. Reaching into a still dry pocket, the conjurer pulls forth his now familiar candle. In one fluid motion, his other hand pulls forth a dagger, drawing a red line across his palm. The blood immediately seeps into the candle, which blazes alight with arcane power. Taking the now flaming candle, Talmut submerges it into the water, dowsing it and calling forth a name that invokes images of dark deep waters.

"ATTEND TO ME, SERVANT OF LORD AHU! PULL FREE MY ALLY, FROM THE MAW OF THE CROCODILE!"

Full-round Action: Summon Monster II (Celestial Squid) to S18.

Squid's Action: Grab Elodie & try to pull her free.
Squid's Roll: 24 (14 + 10 CMB) vs. Croc's CMD
If successful, move with Elodie to S17.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum