Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

+2
Glitz
Malazek
6 posters

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad - Page 4 Empty Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Seeing the Ogres made the hairs on the back of Jeremiahs neck stand on end, for a second he felt frozen in place. He knew if he woke the party the boy would come unglued and most surely want to fight these two Ogres, so he quietly waited for them to pass out of sight before he went and alerted the party.

OOC: If Jeremiah sees the Ogres turn towards the camp he will immediately alert the party...

Once they were gone from sight he crept down to Talmut and wiggled his arm "SHHhhhh... Two Ogres just passed by about 50 yards from here. They were looking to kill the culprits who did their father in. They were headed in the direction those tracks were leading..."

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Talmut nods at the Ranger's warning, slips out of his bedroll as silently as possible, and warns the next closest companion as Jerimiah warned him (not Stephen!).

"Shhh - more ogres."

Stealth = 20(natch!)+2 = 22. Next round, I will ready an action to cast Summon Monster 1 should the Ogres move to attack.

HP: 7/7 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +1, Ref: +2, Wil: +2 Init: +2 M.W. Quarterstaff: -1Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 0 Mov: 6
CMB: -2 | CMD: 10
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 16 Conj.
Spells Learned - 0: Acid Splash, Flare, Detect Magic; 1st: Mage Armor, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1

Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Waking quickly, Elodie stays quiet and shakes Maius, motioning for him to stay quiet. "The ranger saw ogres during his watch," she whispers.

Stealth: 9 + 2 = 11

OOC: Wasn't sure who the next closest was, so I'm just gonna jump in and say it was me Smile
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Stephen suddenly stirs, "Ogres? Did you say Ogres?"

He rolls over in his bedroll and doesn't say another word ... he must have been talking in his sleep.

OOC: TN for a sleeping character to hear the details of a whispered conversation = 25
Stephen's Perception Roll = 24
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Startled, Elodie stares at Stephen for a minute. Once he appears to be sleeping soundly again, she whispers to Talmut, Maius, and Jeremiah if he's within earshot, "Should we go after them now? Or risk them stumbling their way back up to our camp?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 am

Maius thinks he may be dreaming when Elodie wakes him, then he hears Stephen mumbling about ogres and realizes he is awake, somewhat. "We should let them pass, none of us has had enough rest." He attempts to roll back over and return to his sleep, mumbling to himself "Always excitement when I'm tryin to sleep, can't a fella ever get a full nights rest?" He digs thru his belongings with his eyes closed and finds his sap, then pulls his cover up to his neck.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 am

Jeremiah nods his head in agreement with Maius, "They're most likely headed back to their lair right now for the remainder of the night. We should just be aware and be extra alert during the rest of the watches through the night."

OOC: If Jeremiahs watch is over he will let the next person know it is there turn, if not he will finish off the remainder of his watch.

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am

Elodie shrugs. "That's fine, I'm not going after ogres alone," she says. "But if we need to be extra vigilant, maybe I can help..." Elodie lays a hand on Jeremiah's shoulder before he goes back to finish his watch, imploring the spirits to help him be extra vigilant.

Cast Guidance.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Once the immediate danger has past, Talmut returns to sleep.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm

The rest of Jeremiah's watch passes without incident. After waking Elodie, he has time to check his traps once more before climbing back into his shelter. The rest of the night, during Elodie's watch and Maius's watch, is equally uneventful. Having slept all night, Stephen is the first to wake up; though it is still the middle of the night. Seeing that Maius is already on watch, he realizes he was skipped in the rotation, and becomes instantly mopey. He makes no effort to hide his anger has he begins to gather up his supplies. In fact, he makes no effort to be quiet about it either, and his packing efforts quickly wake the rest of the party.

It is somewhere between midnight and dawn, but you have been sleeping for almost half a day, now (minus whatever time you spent on watch) ... you are well-rested and could easily travel, if not for the lack of sunlight.

OOC: Is anyone doing anything special before heading out?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu May 30, 2013 6:19 pm

Hearing the disturbance Jeremiah springs to his feet with thoughts of Ogres pillaging the camp. As he looks around he quickly realizes it's just the boy throwing a tantrum. So he turns to his pipe and decides to pull a few tokes to ease his way in to the day. "Well I guess its that time..."

After he has his morning smoke he gathers his traps and tears down his shelter, trying to leave no trace of there camp behind....

OOC:

Survival Check: 2 + 7 = 9

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu May 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Talmut also wakes to the disturbance and sets about repacking his bedroll. Smelling the sweet smoke in the air and needing to break in his new pipe, the conjuror will join Jerimiah for a morning toke while reading his spellbook. After his studies, Talmut is ready for the return trip.

"Shall we be off?"

HP: 7/7 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +1, Ref: +2, Wil: +2 Init: +2 M.W. Quarterstaff: -1Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 0 Mov: 6
CMB: -2 | CMD: 10
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 16 Conj.
Spells Learned - 0: Acid Splash, Flare, Detect Magic; 1st: Mage Armor, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 pm

After packing up, Elodie finds a quiet spot not too far from the group and settles down on the ground, spending about an hour paying her respects to the spirits. Once she has done this, she returns to her horse. "I'm ready to go now," she tells the group. "So we're heading back into town?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri May 31, 2013 3:11 am

Maius packs up his belongings before he takes his watch. After Stephen wakes up, Maius calls him over to chat with him for a few minutes, "Hey kid, you know I wanted you to go with us, right?" He kicks around at the dirt a little then looks the boy in the eyes, "I have one favor to ask before we take you home. What are the chances you can draw us up a few maps and/or fill us in on any information we may need, from what you know of the ruins?" He pauses, "I realize you probably don't want to do it, but it could save us from gettin killed. And also, if we can avoid becoming lost maybe it would give some favor with the rest of the group for you to join us after we return." If he agrees to help, Maius heads back to the group with a request "Does anyone have writing implements? I think I've convinced the kid to draw us a few maps."

Diplomacy: 1d20+7= 27(natchos!)
Diplomacy: 1d20+7=21

O.o.C.: Didn't know how many rolls I needed for these type of requests?

OOC: Two rolls is enough; one to change his attitude and another to request the maps.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 31, 2013 5:26 am

Stephen listens to Maius's plea for minute. At first, when Maius pauses, Stephen refuses "I can't do that. What kind of business would that be? Who buys the cow when they get the milk for free?" ... but when Maius continues, explaining that he could be killed, Stephen reconsiders the consequences, and gives in. "Fine. I'll draw you the dumb map."

Assuming Talmut provides Maius with the requested materials, Stephen draws for Maius a crude map of the the forest trails Randal liked to use. He includes the hunting lodge Randal mentioned, as well as the ruined city on the northwestern end of the valley, but the focus of his map are two sets of ruins on the eastern side. "These ones," he explains, pointing at the southernmost ruins to the east, "have been picked pretty clean, but that's where my Uncle always take people. They're safe. These ones, though," pointing to the northeastern ruins, "might still have some secrets left. Maybe. This is where I was going to take us."

After an hour or so ... the camp is packed up, the traps are collected, spells are prepared for the day, and all trace of the campsite has been eradicated. Stephen lights the three torches that were on Randal's horse and distributes them to Maius and Talmut, keeping one for himself. The group mounts up and heads out.

There is still no sun in the sky and the surrounding forest blocks out most of the moonlight, so following the trails is more difficult then it was during the day, even with the help of the torches ... but aside from a few wolf howls, the party encounters nothing to worry about. Eventually, the trees become more and more sparse, as you leave the woods and begin to pass the rural farms you saw on the way in. After an hour or so, the walls of the city come into view.

It is still dark out when you ride passed the Jolly Toad and toward the West Gate of the city. The gate is closed at this late hour, but the guards call down from the gatehouse overhead. "Who goes there? State your business."

Last edited by Malazek on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 31, 2013 7:11 am

Realizing that the whole situation might sound slightly suspicious, Elodie waits for someone who's a little better with words to explain who they are to the guards--hopefully Maius. If Maius doesn't speak up, Elodie will call out, "We are adventurers who departed from The Jolly Toad and are returning to town."

GM Edit: Since it seems the party is not approaching the gate just yet, then "then" part of this "if/then" doesn't apply ... so, I struck it out.

OOC: Thanks! Been on the road all day & couldn't fix it myself.

Last edited by Glitz on Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri May 31, 2013 7:22 am

Jeremiah says to the party, "I suggest we go to the Jolly Toad and eat breakfast while we wait for the city to open..."

OOC: Do we need to head through the gates immediately? Can we just wait in the Jolly Toad until the gates open? I'm sure Jeremiah could use some breakfast..

DM Edit: You can go to the Jolly Toad, first, if you like. They ARE open.
The gates of the city should be open in a few hours, too.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 pm

"I vote for breakfast first." Looking to Stephen he continues "Hey kid, you hungry? C'mon, I'll buy ya a bowl of some hot food for all your assistance. Didn't you say you had family here in town? Are you gonna need someone to help explain what happened to your uncle?"
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Stephen responds to Maius, "Breakfast at the inn? Are you serious? Yes, please!" Then, he answers "Yeah, I live here with my Mom. No, I think I'd better tell her, myself, but I'd still appreciate it if you came along, so I don't have lead all these horses by myself."

As the party enters, they see the same lacquered wood surroundings, the same antlers and trophies hung every wall, and the same field stone fireplace. The signs at the door, however, have changed (well, the menu has, anyway). Only the proprietor, Cid Buckley, seems to be working this early. The common room is full of a sleeping guests, however, with their bedrolls and blankets spread-out all over the floor (the tableshave been pushed to the side, with chairs stacked on top of them). Only one of the guests seems to be awake.

"Welcome back, Cid says, quietly. "Didn't expect you back so soon."

JOLLY TOAD MENU
Endless Stew (Kept Simmering 30 Years) … 5 cp
Aunt Polly’s Pudding … 1 sp
Sausages ... 1 sp
Eggs & Sausages ... 2 sp
Hashed Mutton ... 1 sp
Eggs & Hashed Mutton ... 2 sp
Simple Bread & Cheese … 1 sp
Brown Ale … 4 cp
Coffee … 2 cp

JOLLY TOAD ROOMS
Private Meeting Room (One Hour) … 5 sp
Private Room … 15 sp
Private Suite … 4 gp
Sleeping Space on Floor … 1 cp
Sleeping Space near the Fire … 5 cp

JOLLY TOAD AMENITIES
Bath (Cold) … 2 cp
Bath (Hot) … 5 cp
Chamber Pot (Loan of) … 2 cp
Stabling (with Grooming and Feed) … 2 sp
Laundry Service … 3 cp per article
Garment Repair … Varies
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 pm

Elodie says, "Breakfast sounds great to me. Let's get some food, and then we can see Stephen and the horses home." She heads toward The Jolly Toad, looking for a place to tie her horse. Once the horse is secure, Elodie heads inside and waves to the barkeep as she approaches. "I'll have eggs and hashed mutton, please," she says.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri May 31, 2013 11:19 pm

"Hmm...that sounds good - I will have the same. And coffee."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:26 am

OOC: This intro is for GodImes's character, Kainin Nobels

Kainin Nobels ...

You arrived in Umbrafall last tonight, having arrived later than intended. You immediately asked around for any information that might help you on your quest and found out that the young Michel had left for the ruins with a guide named Randal Woods. According to locals, this guide leads groups to those ruins every three or four days, beginning their journey at the Jolly Toad Inn ... but that was days ago. Realizing that this "Woods" fellow could probably tell you exactly what became of Michel , you went straight to the Jolly Toad. And since it was already getting late, you also decided to stay at the inn for a night.

The inn itself isa rustic wooden building with an unattached stable; a smiling frog, carved from a small boulder sits in the yard, gives the inn its name. Inside, lacquered wood makes up the walls, the floor, the ceiling ... even the bar itself. Impressive antlers and other trophies hang numerously on every wall. Chandeliers holding lit candles dangle from the ceiling, illuminating the many tables that crowd the common room floor. A stout field-stone fireplace warms one end of the room, while a small stage at the other end hosts an entertainer ... a lone drummer called "Solon, the Serpentcoil Sage" had just finished his act and was heading home.

You woke early (very early, since it was still dark outside) and went downstairs, to get breakfast and to ask around for any further information that might help you on your quest. The proprietor and barkeep, Cid Buckley, informed you that Randal Woods left with another group the morning before ... a group that included himself, his nephew, a foreigner, two outdoorsy folks, and another man calling himself "Sir Maius, Pride of all Kelbany. He also told you "Still pretty early, my friend ... city gates don' open for a couple o' hours."

Just as you were finishing your breakfast, a group of people entered the inn, almost matching the description you were given: a foreigner, two outdoorsy folks, another man, and an adolescent child. Just one woodsman short, from what you can see, but too similar to dismiss ... perhaps this is them.

Cid greets them as they enter, "Welcome back ... didn't expect you back so soon." He glances in your direction, as if trying to decide if he should say something ... but then responds to their breakfast orders, "Eggs an' hashed mutton, all 'round, then? With coffees, as well?"

OOC: Feel free to jump in and interact with the party.

OOC: Also, remember that your "cost of living" allows you to NOT track purchases of 10 gp or less. So, don't deduct anything for the room or any meals here.

Last edited by Malazek on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:34 am

Hearing Talmut and Elodie order nearly the same thing, Cid tries to sell it to the rest of the group, "Eggs an' hashed mutton, all 'round, then? With coffees, as well?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:00 am

"Coffee, sure," Elodie nods, looking around to see what everyone else is going to have.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  GodImes Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:18 am

After a moment looking over the group, Kainin mutters a brief "Hmmm" and turns to go back to his room.

GodImes
Arcane Abecedarian
Arcane Abecedarian

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next