Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:30 am

Carefully, Elodie examines the ground around the cave. She rediscovers the tracks Jeremiah found yesterday, as well as a few tracks that must have been left by the party last night. She does, however, find one other set of tracks: a set of giant boot prints (larger than the ogre's footprints) that appears to come out of the cave, pace back and forth, and then go back in. She does NOT find any evidence that the horses left after the party did.

__________

At this point, Talmut and Maius have returned to the throne room to wait for Talmut and Elodie.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 am

Jeremiah will do one last search of the throne room while he waits for Talmut and Elodie.

OOC: I'm surprised you went so easy on us after splitting up ;p

DM Edit: OOC: Lol. Well, I had kind of already decided what the giants did ... so I guess you'll get away with it this time. :p

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 pm

"Agreed.  More than likely, we are too late for our equine conveyances - best not to join them in their fate.  Let us join the others and head back to Umberfall; I can design a litter to aid in transporting the urns."

Knowledge (Engineering) to design a litter for the urns?

GM Edit: OOC: That's probably crafts, actually, but I'll allow it, since make-shift litters are probably used commonly for transporting architectural materials.  Taking-10 will give you a 19 ... more than adequate. (For that matter, you get a 15 working on Intelligence alone and even that's probably enough).
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 pm

While waiting, Jeremiah searches the throne room, again. When he is done, is convinced that it has been thoroughly explored. You have gathered every urn, gazed at every mural, and completely ruled out any sort of secret or hidden doors.

__________

After Talmut and Elodie head back to rejoin the others, the party makes short work out of hoisting the urns ... Talmut's design works wonders and proves to be even more useful for pulling Maius and Jeremiah out of the hole.

After dissembling the hoist, Talmut is able to re-use the same branches and the same short bits of rope for the construction of an "urn litter." Each urn weighs 15 to 20 pounds (full), but if you empty them out, you can reduce the weights to about 10 pounds each. That means the entire score would weigh about 200 pounds empty (empty). The litter itself probably weighs another 40 or 50 pounds ... but the efficient design of the litter makes that feel more like 50 lbs (total) on even ground (but more like 100 lbs. in the hills). 

__________

-- OOC: The litter cuts the effective weight by 5 in favorable terrain (by 2 in rough terrain). If the ashes are not emptied, treat the urn-filled litter as 90 lbs on flat ground and 223 lbs in the hills. If the ashes are dumped out, treat it as 49 and 123.

-- OOC: Elodie and Maius are already encumbered ... but working together, Talmut and Jeremiah could move the full litter at the same medium speed that Maius and Elodie are already moving at (that is, a speed of 20). At that rate, it will take the party less than three hours to make it back to Umbrafall.


Last edited by Malazek on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

O.O.C. - IIRC, we emptied everything of value from the urns, so yah, lets do that.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Elodie very willingly helps out wherever she can, and when it appears that all of the urns are loaded and ready to be transported, she says, "Back to town?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:32 am

The party reaches Umbrafall by early afternoon. It has been a long and tiresome walk, carrying all of the party's loot. As they approach the gate, they realize that passers-by are staring at them ... probably because all of their clothes and armor are stained with blood (well, not Jeremiah, but everyone else). They are looking a little rough for wear.

During the adventure, Elodie was cut open by her own spear, not to mentioned the claws and teeth of ghouls. Talmut, too, was ripped open by the ghouls. (He also fell into a pit, but those injuries were relatively minor). Though bitten, as well, Maius lost a pool of blood after being clobbered over the head by a giant club. All of these injuries have left your garments badly soiled and in need of a seamstresses's hand. (Jeremiah was also knocked out by a giant club, but didn't bleed out. He bled a little when punctured by the dart, but not enough to ruin his clothes).

-- OOC: Where to?
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 am

I believe Jeremiah had one nights worth of furs to sell and a small shopping list of things to buy. He will also check the bulletin board at the adventurers guild...

If I make enough in this pull here is my list:

List of things to buy:

  • Leather Strips (curing)
  • Leather Sack (curing)
  • Composite L. Bow
  • Arrows

OOC: Shall I remove the horses and all that gear from the party inventory? Also, does anyone have good negotiating skills?
 

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 pm

O.o.C.: Maius is skilled in Diplomacy (+7), as well as Bluff (+7). Combine that with Appraise (Int. bonus +2) and maybe we have some luck?
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:06 pm

OOC: OK, maybe it would be best for you to do the bartering then...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Jeremiah & Miaus wrote:Jeremiah had one nights worth of furs to sell and a small shopping list ...

List of things to buy:

  • Leather Strips (curing)
  • Leather Sack (curing)
  • Composite L. Bow
  • Arrows

OOC: Shall I remove the horses and all that gear from the party inventory? Also, does anyone have good negotiating skills?
O.o.C.: Maius is skilled in Diplomacy (+7), as well as Bluff (+7). Combine that with Appraise (Int. bonus +2) and maybe we have some luck?
OOC: The furs Jeremiah caught during the party's stay in the Ogre's den should earn him roughly 3 silver and 4 copper. Is he going to go to the same place he went last time? or is he going to try and sell it wherever the party tries to sell their adventuring loot?

OOC: I'll need to know exactly which items the party is selling (and where they are selling them) before I can determine how much you've all earned. I am sure they will want to keep some of the items they have found.

OOC: Yes, go ahead and remove the horses and their associated inventory; they are gone. (I did save a copy of it, so we know exactly what the party owes Mrs. Schneider).

OOC: As per the write-up for this game: "merchants in this campaign are weary of haggling" ... So, chances are you will get only what the main rules say you are supposed to get (barring exceptional circumstances, of course).


Last edited by Malazek on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Jeremiah wrote:He will also check the bulletin board at the adventurers guild...
Before passing through the gates, Jeremiah sets his side of the litter down** and strolls right over to the adventuring guild. Ignoring the "Seasoned Adventurers Only" and "No Vacancy" signs at the gate, he strides right into the Adventurers' Guild lot. Past the wooden palisade, he sees a a stable, an inn, and a general store. Unsure whether to go to the inn or the store, he randomly chooses the inn. He walks right up to the door, opens it, and walks inside. 

**(Unless Talmut goes with him).

Unlike the Jolly Toad, down the street, this inn is very stately: the common area is very spacious, with white stone walls and high vaulted ceilings. Five massive fireplaces (one in each corner and one behind the bar) light up the place, with full-sized boars roasting in every one them! The bar itself is tall and wide, made of wood, and generously lacquered. Countless bottles rest on the narrow shelves behind the barkeep, on either-side of the fireplace.

Yet, there are no patrons here ... only a surprisingly young barkeep, polishing the largest glass steins you have ever seen.

Glancing around, Jeremiah spots the bulletin board next to the door; it is covered with slips of parchment, written by nobles and wealthy merchants looking to hire proven adventurers. Before Jeremiah can begin reading them, however, the barkeep speaks up, "Welcome to the Adventurer's Guild, my good sir. An esteemed traveler, such as yourself, clearly deserves the kind of service that only we can provide ... but the Guild Hall is for members only, so I'll need you to register." With that, he pulls a small tray from behind the bar. On the tray, sits a vial of ink, a large feathery quill, and a sheet of paper with some sort of 'form' written on it. "If you would, sir."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Before Jeremiah leaves the party, he recommends they sell the loot at the adventurers guild. When he arrives and is greeted by the barkeep, he will register his name in the book.

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 pm

At Jeremiah's suggestion, Elodie follows him into the Adventurers' Guild, glancing at the warning signs that Jeremiah ignores, trying to keep up.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:35 am

Talmut agree's that Maius would be best suited to handle the negotiations.  After making sure the urns make it to market safely, the Conjuror makes sure to sequester all the magic items for identification.

"Jeremiah, when you have a moment, may I look at that axe?"

Detect Magic, Spellcraft +9 -Identify properties of a magic item, DC 15 + items caster level; Decipher a scroll, DC 20 + spell level; Talmut will perform these on anything emitting a magical aura.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 am

Talmut studies the axe, the scroll, and the three pearls. He is able to identify the properties of all the items, but the axe's history eludes him. Pearls such at this are a favorite among spellcasters, so he can't really be certain of their history ... he does, however, recall from his studies the story of a young mage named Jacobany. Jacobany was a local wizard, who is reputed to have found three magic pearls just like these. Perhaps they are his? Poor Jacobany was never able to discover the creator of the pearls he carried, and now it looks like he'll never get the chance.
 
Spellcraft Roll (Axe): 24 (15 on the die) vs. DC 24
Knowledge Arcana: 11 (2 on the die)
 
Decipher Roll (Scroll): 24 (15 on the die) vs. DC 23 (see page 490)
 
Spellcraft Roll (Pearls): 17 (8 on the die) vs. DC 16
Knowledge Arcana: 18 (9 on the die)
 
SCROLL OF ITEM SHRINKING
Aura: Faint transmutation; CL 5th (3rd Level Spell)
Slot —; Price 375; Weight —
The scroll is a heavy sheet of high-quality paper, roughly 8-1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long (sufficient to hold one spell). The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8. To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements: The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine); The user must have the spell on her class list; and The user must have the requisite ability score. If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements, but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = 4) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers. Activating a scroll is a standard action (or the spell’s casting time, whichever is longer) and it provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does. This particular scroll contains the arcane spell "Shrink Item" (found on page 342).

AXE OF THE GIANT-SLAYER
Aura: Strong Conjuration; CL 9th
Slot: Weapon; Price 18,306 ; Weight 3 lbs
This +2 magic handaxe excels against giants. Against a giant, the weapon’s enhancement becomes +4 and it deals an extra 2d6 points of damage.

THREE PEARLS OF JACOBANY
Aura: Faint Transmutation; CL 1st
Slot —; Price 1,000 gp (1st); Weight —
This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of Jacobany enables the possessor to recall any one first level spell that she had prepared and then cast that day. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:30 am

Alpha Omega wrote:Before Jeremiah leaves the party, he recommends they sell the loot at the adventurers guild. When he arrives and is greeted by the barkeep, he will register his name in the book.

 The sheet of paper handed to Jeremiah has the following form, waiting to be filled out.

1. WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

2. WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR ADVENTURING PARTY?

3. PLEASE LIST THE NAMES OF YOUR ADVENTURING COMPANIONS AND INDICATE WHAT SKILLS OR POWERS THEY POSSESS.

4. PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR ADVENTURES. WHAT SORT OF DANGERS OR OBSTACLES DID YOUR FACE? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?

5. WHAT SORT OF LOOT OR TREASURE DID YOU BRING BACK?

6. WHERE DID THE ADVENTURE TAKE PLACE (OPTIONAL)?

7. DID YOU DISCOVER ANYTHING OF HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE?

THANK YOU!


Last edited by Malazek on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 am

Jeremiah fills out the sheet appropriately, giving his name and describing the last few encounters and some of the loots. He skips over questions 2 , 3 & 5 than asks the barkeep "why are these questions of any importance to you?"

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:48 am

"Well, sir, that is how we provide the services we do. By knowing the names and talents of our members, we are able to connect them with patrons and opportunities that suit their particular skills. For example, if you were a skilled lock-breaker, we could connect you with someone willing to pay for a lock to be opened. If you found an unique hammer, but were more interested in a unique sword, we could introduce you to someone who had a sword but wanted a hammer. Similarly, if you found some ancient artwork that was simply worth too much to unload upon a common merchant, we would try to buy it. But if we couldn't, we could try to find someone who was."

"Mostly, however, it is just for posterity; we are nothing if not sagely. By supplying us with such information, you ensure that future generations will never forget your legacy. Or the legacy of those who came before you. The importance of your own legacy should not be discounted. Many perks exist, throughout the world, for those who make a name for themselves."

"At any rate, it is a condition of membership. I hate to be so blunt about it, but such things require a bit of give and take; a partnership of cooperation, if you will."

____________________

Per Skype: My post Edited.


Last edited by Malazek on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:58 am

1. WHAT IS YOUR NAME?
Jeremiah Laqueus

2. WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR ADVENTURING PARTY?
Band of Four

3. PLEASE LIST THE NAMES OF YOUR ADVENTURING COMPANIONS AND INDICATE WHAT SKILLS OR POWERS THEY POSSESS.
Miaus - Bard
Elodie - Druid
Talmut-Xispur - Wizard


4. PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR ADVENTURES. WHAT SORT OF DANGERS OR OBSTACLES DID YOUR FACE? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THEM?
Giant Slaying

5. WHAT SORT OF LOOT OR TREASURE DID YOU BRING BACK?
Urns


6. WHERE DID THE ADVENTURE TAKE PLACE (OPTIONAL)?


7. DID YOU DISCOVER ANYTHING OF HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE?
Yes

THANK YOU!

Before Jeremiah hands the sheet to the bar keep he turns to the group and asks them, "What shall we call ourselves?"


Last edited by Alpha Omega on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 am; edited 2 times in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm

"Jeremiah, please tell them that we did find some historical information while we were out. I would like to be introduced to someone that could clarify some of the drawings and names that I saw. I don't think they need to know where we were, just that we have some questions."
Maius will gladly  take the lead in any negotiations to peddle the partys wares.

GM Edit: OOC: Ok, I just need to know which items you are selling and where you are selling them. After Jeremiah gets the party registered, you can even sell stuff here (that would probably be easiest) ... I know Maius and Elodie both listed the loot they hauled back on their character sheets. Are you selling any of that? How about the urns? How about the scroll, the wand, the axe, the pearls, or the black arrow? (You should probably keep all the magic items, but you can try to sell them, if you like). Afterwards, you can what you're paid to the coins you brought back and divide them out.

GM Edit: OOC: Also, in case anyone missed it, Jeremiah asked for help answering question #2.
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 pm

In response to Jeremiah's question, Elodie says, "Why don't we call ourselves Axes & Pearls? Or the Pit Jumpers?" 

Elodie drops her pack to the floor and begins pulling out the things that she carried back with the intention of selling for profit for the group:

  • Mirror
  • Moonstone
  • Gold rings x6
  • Sealing wax
  • Old spears x6
  • Spyglass
  • Old, incomplete thieves' tools
  • Old wine

When she comes to the pearls, she will hand one to Maius, one to Talmut, and keep one for herself. "I think we should each keep one of these, now that we know what they do."

Unless anyone in the group objects, she will take these items over to the general store inside the Guild lot. She will also describe the urns to the shopkeeper there.

GM Edit: Maius goes with her ... so, as soon as the party is registered, you can sell stuff there. Is that all the loot we're selling?
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm

"I'm not sure of either of those names, but we need to choose something. Any one else have any ideas?"

OOC: I think we have platinum to divvy up as well...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 am

Double post...


Last edited by Swifthand on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:07 am

Talmut safely pockets his pearl and the scroll and then helps transport the urns.

"Four is a number of great power and stability.  Perhaps something simple, such as the Band of Four?"
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum