Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Elodie considers Talmut's question, thinking about what she knows about meconium.

Nature: 18 (taking 10 + 8)
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Elodie remembers that meconium can have a sedative effect, because it is a powerful pain-killer and relaxant. If enough was ingested, the dog should be put to sleep, but she isn't sure if there is enough present for that. At the very least, however, it should make him tired and drowsy. Even if there isn't enough to "put him under," there is a good chance it would make him lethargic enough to ignore you ... She also knows that it can be physically and mentally addictive.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 pm

"You know, meconium would probably have a pretty strong effect on the beast--if we could somehow get the dog to swallow a large amount of it, it would knock him out for sure. I don't know if you're carrying enough with you to have that effect, but a smaller amount would still make him quite drowsy, quite possibly drowsy enough to ignore us. I feel certain that if we wrapped some meconium in some of this meat that we have, the dog would probably eat it up." Elodie responds to Talmut, and then turns to Jeremiah. "We could drug the dog, and then try to get close enough to determine if they are sleeping inside of the cave. If they're sleeping, that would give us a great chance to take them out; if they're not sleeping, I think that your traps would be a great alternative--and with the dog drugged, we could lure them out when we choose to. However, if we want to keep our options open, you should probably get your traps ready before we attempt to trick the dog."
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:02 pm

"As soon as the dog sees you he will bark and they may be alerted, so trying to feed him may not bode so well. When I said ambush, I didn't want to do it here. I was thinking we set it up further down the trail where they travel. We would have a much better chance of surprise this way and they would be stripped of any unknown advantages in their immediate surroundings. My traps may make for a good distraction but the very size of those Ogres may damage them, so that may not be good either. Anyone else have any other ideas?"

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:28 pm

O.O.C. - Do they have a privy dug out here somewhere? And to confirm, Jeremiah has only detected the 3 ogres' tracks: Pa (dead) and his sons', correct? And finally, is the "privy" in the radius of the dog's chain?

"We might hide and surprise them, most likely one at a time, at their privy, yes?"
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Talmut wanders away from the group to search for a "privy" ... but doesn't find one. He does, however, find a massive piles of waste at in the woods, nearby. Finding it was easy, because it stinks. After a few minutes of searching, he returns to where he left the party, with crappy news to share.

OOC: It is NOT within the radius of the chain ... but it is in the surrounding woods, on the other side of the hill to your left.

OOC: Yes. Only three sets of tracks have been found, so far.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:41 am

OOC: It seems the four of you have put forth four different plans. Perhaps a vote is in order?

- Plan #1: Distract the dog with a Lullaby.
- Plan #2: Ambush them along the path.
- Plan #3: Drug the dog with meat-wrapped meconium and then sneak into the cave.
- Plan #4: Surprise them at the commode.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 am

"I am worried that distracting the dog with music will be just as noisy as the dog barking...but if we were to sneak a bit closer and toss the meat in from a distance, the dog might bark once, but it would probably settle down quickly and enjoy the snack. The ogres probably hear him make little barks all day long at the birds and other creatures in the forest, it's probably only a real ruckus that would cause them to come investigate. If we can catch them sleeping, then we can deal with this quickly and be on our way to the ruins, perhaps with a little more treasure than we started out with. And if we sneak in and see that they are not sleeping...well, I think Jeremiah's traps are a great plan to fall back on. Waiting at the privy could work, but what if they don't head that way again for several days? What if they take care of their business in various locations? Then we will be camping by stinking piles of filth for days...I won't go against the majority of the group, but I feel that if we have a chance to catch them asleep, we should try to take advantage of that possibility first."
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 am

"I think we should just avoid this debacle all together and come back at a later time."

OOC: I don't want to use my traps, nor can I make any that will affect giants. Also, I believe the problem with giving the dog the treated meat is that the dog will bark when he sees you and he will continue to bark until the poison kicks in, which could take awhile. I don't think the poison is instantaneous and if the Ogres hear the music playing they may become affected by it as well, but these are a lot of what if's and hope so's for creatures that can 1 shot us. ... Elodie you are the only one with stealth. You could give it a whirl if you want to, I just want to be at a safe distance for a good head start when hill giants roll out on us, lol ...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm

O.O.C. - I'm partial to the crapper plan, lol; an homage to Young Guns. We could go Merconium, however, it is expensive (50 gp), and I would hate to waste it on a monster that is currently chained up. If we go with the poison food, I could use Monster Summoning 1 and get a Celestial Eagle to drop the poison meat on the dogs head from 50' in the air. I think, under that scenario, we would avoid the dog barking. All that said, I vote for hiding around the pile of crap. Most likely, we will face only 1 Ogre, and won't have to face the guard dog. We will probably get a surprise round on him - we all hit, he is dead. We could fall back at that point, or face his brother. Then kill that dog with arrows without a problem.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:42 pm

OOC: I may have made a typo, I don't think anyone has poison. I was referring to the Merconium when I said poison. Now remembering how expensive that stuff is I doubt it's worth wasting on this encounter. I have a feeling there isn't 50 gold worth of treasure in that cave. I could get behind the crapper idea, but maybe it's not worth it if we can't settle on a plan and to keep the game going it may be better to just move on. We can always mark this area on the map and come back later.

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:OOC: I may have made a typo, I don't think anyone has poison. I was referring to the Merconium when I said poison. Now remembering how expensive that stuff is I doubt it's worth wasting on this encounter. I have a feeling there isn't 50 gold worth of treasure in that cave. I could get behind the crapper idea, but maybe it's not worth it if we can't settle on a plan and to keep the game going it may be better to just move on. We can always mark this area on the map and come back later.

lol

I can also get behind the crapper idea. It's stinky and now crowded back here.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm

OOC: Yup, it wasn't my 50 gold that bought the meconium, so that's cool with me if you guys want to do something different...I can certainly see the pros of the "crapper" plan...sooo let's do it?
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 pm

"Let us all attack when Jerimiah lets his 1st arrow fly."

Talmut casts Mage Armor on himself and then hides in the woods around the pile o' crap, preferably in a spot that will make him move far to get to me, but still close to the crapper (within 25 feet).

Pre - Cast Mage Armor
Stealth - 16+2=18
Surprise Round (If Applicable) - Cast Grease through my bonded staff, placing in the most advantageous spot under him, pg. 291, Ref. Save DC = 17
Round 1 (If Applicable) - Cast Summon Monster 1, Celestial Eagle, duration doubled (2 rounds), +4 to Str. and Con. due to Augment Summoning. I don't have access to the stats for him to determine his attack.

The dusky-skinned foreigner holds high a black-blue candle and begins to mutter strange words under his breath, once again recalling the ancient pacts between the Sons of Nu'ul and Eru-Belu, Lord of the Eagles. Then, with his sharpened thumbnail, the Conjuror slices into the flesh of the palm, cutting a red line of blood that is seemingly absorbed by the dark wax. With a flash, the candle ignites!

"ANA ERU AWUM"


HP: 7/7 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +1, Ref: +2, Wil: +2 Init: +2 M.W. Quarterstaff: -1Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 0 Mov: 6
CMB: -2 | CMD: 10
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 16 Conj.
Spells Learned - 0: Acid Splash, Flare, Detect Magic; 1st: Mage Armor, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Elodie nods and follows Talmut to the piles of filth, finding a good spot not too far off.

OOC: Malazek --I guess roll a stealth check for me if you need to!
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:27 am

It's just about noon when the party finally agrees on a plan. They move to the "dumping grounds" that Talmut found and prepare for an ambush.

A swarm of flies and gnats buzz around the droppings, which are located next a boulder than seems to be used as a stool of sorts. Several small leafy bushes stand nearby, making this the perfect spot for such activities.

Talmut casts a protective spell around himself after hiding behind some trees that are roughly eight yards from the spot.

Elodie finds a similar hiding spot, roughly the same distance.

Assuming Jeremiah and Maius follow suit ...

Jeremiah finds a hiding place just up the hill, providing him with a better vantage point for his bow. Fortuitously, he can still see the cave entrance for where he is hidden; the view is obscured by trees, but he can see it.

Maius finds a place to hide that is slightly closer; maybe ten feet.

With the party hidden in cardinal directions around the ogre's dung ... they wait.

An hour passes.

Two hours. The party members are getting restless.

Jeremiah confirms that nothing has gone in or out of the cave. The chained dog has barked a few times at passing birds and rabbits, but nothing sustained. Based on the time the ogres were heard dragging something through the woods, you might have to wait several hours, yet ... but there's no way to be sure. Best to keep hidden.

A third hour passes when everyone realizes they haven't eaten since late morning. The party takes a few minutes to wolf down a quick lunch (probably the packed lunch Stephens mom sent along, since that won't keep).

A fourth hour.

A fifth. Most of the party is beginning to feel drowsy after five hours of waiting, especially since it is now about the time the party set camp the night before.

At this point, the dog starts barking furiously. Jeremiah watches as a grimy Ogre exits the cave and kicks the scrawny mutt. He stretches his arms out wide and yawns a mighty yawn. A moment later, another Ogre emerges and hands the first a huge spike club. The first ogre pushes the second one, and then heads in the opposite direction ... away from the party.

The second ogre, however, goes back into the cave. He comes out again with his own giant club and heads directly toward the party. As he approaches, he loosens the ropes that tie his layered hide armor.

When he reaches the spot, his hideous features come into view: its skin is covered with warts, its hair is stringy and greasy, its teeth are crooked and broken, one of its eyes is blood red, the other appears to be lazy, and its nose is simply too big for its face. The malformed giant-kin reaches the boulder and drops its hide breaches to the ground; it's ugly manhood frightening all of you. He sits on the boulder and hangs his pimply butt over the droppings ... a rancid, rotten odor overtakes the entire area.

__________

OOC: What do you do? You have a surprise round coming (that means you get one action, instead of a full round of actions; but the ogre gets no actions). I will hold off making a map to see if this lasts long enough to need one.

OOC: Elodie's Stealth Check: 14
OOC: Jeremiah's Stealth Check: 23
OOC: Maius's Stealth Check: 17
OOC: Ogre's Perception Check: 11

Please post an initiative roll with your surprise action (to be used in the first round, if one occurs). You may post a contingent first round action, too, if you like; though its not required.

Also note, Talmut's "mage armor" expired long ago. He will be casting "Grease" in the surprise round, correct?
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 am

Free:
Standard: L. Bow Attk: 7 + 6 = 13 | Dmg: (if attk hits) 4 + 2 = 6

Init: 2 + 3 = 5

OOC:



Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:32 am

Elodie watches for Jeremiah's arrow, and then casts her attack.

Casting Fire Bolt, Attack Role=18 (17+1)
Damage=1 (ooc: euuurrrrgggghhhh)


GM Edit: Initiative = 18
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:15 am

Yup, Grease. My 1st round action (summon monster) is a full round action and goes off at the end of the round, moving my initiative to the last spot, I think.

Initiative = 10+2=12


GM Edit: You're in luck. The summoned creature appears AND acts, immediately, on your turn.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:35 am

O.o.C.: My apologies for the delay in posting. Between the 110 degree heat and the unfathomable amount of work I've had this week, I haven't been able to get on here. Posting now...

GM Edit: S'all good ...I hope everything cools off out there. Pun intended.
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Initiative: d20+2= 3

As the group begins their attack on the ogre, Maius seizes the opportunity to add a little narrative and increase the skills of his allies. "Ogre! How do ya' like that fire on your arse? Ooh, and now an arrow. I bet you wish you had kept your armor laced! I suggest you move carefully when you try to get up."

Surprise Round
Standard: Bardic Performance- Inspire Courage

O.o.C.: Inspire Courage= ALL allies that can hear Maius gain +1 competence bonus to Attack and Damage rolls for as long as he is performing. Also, +1 morale bonus to saving throws against Charm and Fear effects.

First Round
Initiative: d20+2= 3

Free: Continue Bardic Performance- Inspire Courage
Standard: Cast Flare in front of ogre

O.o.C.2: If this battle makes it to me at end of first round, might need to add a Move action.
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm

SURPRISE ROUND - RESOLUTION & RECAP

Jeremiah's arrow strikes first, hitting the back of the seated ogre. It doesn't appear to have penetrated the layers of hide armor, despite the fact that the armor is no longer strapped on properly ... nonetheless, Jeremiah's allies react as planned. Elodie calls forth another fire spirit and sends it forth to scorch her foe; flames erupt from her fingertips, setting the ogre's hair and armor briefly ablaze. Talmut levels his staff and summons an oily layer of grease beneath the ogre ... who immediately slides sideways off the boulder onto the ground, bumping his head on the massive spiked club beside him. (A small grease fire also ignites on top of the boulder, but quickly burns out; spell interactions like that are a rare magical phenomenon). Mocking and taunting the monster, Sir Maius begins to narrate the battle.

_____

OOC: The ogre's reflex save was a 15 (vs. Talmut's save DC of 17).

OOC: So far, you have only dealt a single point of damage to the ogre.

OOC: The grease fire was mostly just flavor text.

OOC: Technically, since everyone waited for Jeremiah's shot to act, they would have had to "hold" their actions until after his initiative ... which automatically sets their initiative to just after his. Since he rolled a 5, the party's modified initiatives will look like this:

- Jeremiah: 5
- Elodie: 4
- Talmut: 4
- Maius: 3

OOC: Fortunately, the Ogre rolled a total of "1" for initiative, so you will all act again before he does; this time, you get an entire round of actions. Talmut will be casting a spell in the first round; Maius will be casting a spell and maintaining his bardic performance. Jeremiah and Elodie, please post your actions for first round. The ogre will get all of his his actions when his initiative comes around, but until then he is considered flat-footed and prone.

OOC: His armor and armor check penalties are 1 worse than normal, because his armor is undone. Since he is prone, he gets a +4 AC vs. ranged attacks and a -4 AC penalty vs. melee attacks. He has to succeed at some pretty tough reflex saves, however, to move through the grease.

OOC: Since Maius started his performance in the surprise round, all of you are +1 to attack and damage in the first round. You gain the same bonus against charm and fear.


Last edited by Malazek on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:28 pm

"Attend unto me, Child of Eru-Belu! Smite my foe!"

claw/claw/bite, correct?


GM Edit: Correct (as a full round action).

If he moves more than 5 feet, tho, he gets only one attack. All of the eagle's natural weapons are considered "primary," however, so he does not suffer a -5 to hit when making multiple attacks and he gets his full Str bonus on all of them.

Feel free to move this stat block to a separate post in your character thread.

Augmented Celestial Eagle
Neutral Good, Small animal
Init +2; Senses: low-light vision & dark-vision 60; Perception +10

AC: 14; touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +1 natural, +1 size)
Resist Acid, Cold, and Electricity 5; SR 5
hp: 7 (1d8+3)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2

Speed: 10 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
Space: 2-1/2 ft. Reach 0 ft.

Melee: 2 talons +3 (1d4+2), bite +3 (1d4+2)

Special Attacks: smite evil 1/day as a swift action (adds Cha bonus to attack rolls and damage bonus equal to HD against evil foes; smite persists until target is dead or the celestial creature rests).

Str 14, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 7
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 13
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Skills: Fly +8, Perception +10 (Racial Modifiers +8 Perception)
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Jeremiah fires another arrow, quickly realizing that he will need to get in close and use his axe if he is going to be of any help. He was trying to stay clear of the big slippery pile of excrement, but that didn't seem like it was going to happen now.

Standard: L. Bow: 10 + 3 = 13
Free: Quick Draw Axe
Move: 4sq toward the Ogre

OOC: How far am I away from the Ogre? Also, can I run and move double?

GM Edit: I figured 35-40 feet, to be high enough to see the cave (which also puts you the same distance from the ogre as Elodie and Talmut, tho in a different direction). If you shoot, then move, you'll get half way there. Running would get you there, but then you wouldn't be able to attack (running is a full round action). Another option would be to charge. That would allow you to move 40 and make a melee attack with a +2 bonus to hit. Your AC would be -2 and you must move in a straight line (no turning and no avoiding obstacles). And since you have quick draw as a feat, you can even draw your axe during the charge.



Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Stomping her feet in frustration at the piddly amount of fire, Elodie tosses her braid back and focuses, once again sending a burst of flames at the greasy, smelly creature.

Standard: Casting Fire Bolt, Attack Roll=16 (14 + 1 Dex + 1 from Maius)
Damage: 5 (4 + 1)
Free: n/a
Move: n/a
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum